The Feline Longevity Study, funded and conducted by a pet food manufacturer, produced exciting results for cat lovers who want to extend the good health and long life of their pets.
The study ran seven and a half years and involved 90 healthy adult cats from the ages of seven to 17.
The kitties were separated into three dietary groups as follows:
- Group 1 was fed a commercial "complete and balanced senior diet"
- Group 2 was fed the same diet + antioxidants
- Group 3 was fed the same diet + antioxidants, oils, and a prebiotic
The cats in the third group showed the following results:
- Fewer decreases in lean muscle mass
- Improved body weight, lean body mass, skin thickness and red cell quality
- Decreased incidence of disease
- General improvement in quality of life
- Significantly longer life span