Cats require specialized care, which is a fact even many cat lovers don’t realize.
Six common mistakes people owned by cats make:
- Using products intended for dogs on their cat. Under certain circumstances, this can prove to be a fatal mistake. Never assume any product designed for dogs is safe for cats as well. Use only products that clearly state they are safe for kitties.
- Giving human medications. This, too, can prove fatal. Always consult your veterinarian before medicating your kitty.
- Allowing Fluffy to grow obese. Over half the domesticated cats in the U.S. are overfed and under-exercised.
- Inattention to the litter box. Cats are extremely clean creatures. They don’t like dirty, smelly litter. They also have individual preferences when it comes to types of litter and litter boxes.
- Taking a hands-off approach to your cat. It’s true kitties are independent and self-sufficient by nature, but your furry feline still needs your help with brushing or combing, nail trims, dental hygiene and even the occasional bath.
- Not taking Garfield to the vet for regular wellness checkups. Just because kitty doesn’t like to visit the vet (or even leave the house) doesn’t mean he shouldn’t. Housecats are much less likely to see a vet regularly than their canine counterparts, to the detriment of their good health.