Give Your Pet a Break Today — Do This Loving Gesture

Halloween pet hazards

Story at-a-glance -

  • It’s Halloween and time for a quick reminder about the hazards to dogs and cats
  • Items to keep out of your pet’s reach include chocolate and all candy, and candles
  • Also consider putting a stressed or fearful pet in a quiet, safe location away from the chaos
  • Take care with pet costumes — keep them simple, non-restrictive and without small buttons or other choking hazards

By Dr. Becker

Today is Halloween and time for my annual reminder to pet parents to take all necessary precautions to keep furry family members safe, sane and healthy on this spooky-fun fall holiday.

10 Halloween Pet Dangers Starting With ‘C’

1. Chocolate. Chocolate is toxic to both cats and dogs, and the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous. It contains a caffeine-like stimulant substance that when ingested by your pet can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, racing pulse and seizures. Make sure all your family members and guests, including children, understand the importance of keeping chocolate away from your dog or cat.

2. Candy in general. Most pet parents are aware of the dangers of chocolate, but there are other types of sweets that also pose health risks for canine and feline companions, so a good rule of thumb is to keep ALL Halloween candy out of the reach of pets.

3. Candy and other treats containing xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is showing up in all kinds of products, including sugar-free candy, gum, mints and baked goods. A small amount of xylitol can cause a rapid and dangerous blood sugar drop in dogs, as well as acute liver failure. Xylitol's effect on cats is not known, but I would recommend keeping it far away from kitties as well.

4. Candy wrappers. Halloween candy isn't the only health threat for pets. Empty candy wrappers smell like what was in them, which can entice your pet. Ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers can cause a life-threatening bowel obstruction requiring surgery. It's very important to emphasize to children in particular the need to keep all candy wrappers out of the reach of pets.

5. Common Halloween non-candy treats. Some people like to hand out small boxes of raisins instead of candy on Halloween. Or small bags of trail mix containing raisins. Unfortunately, raisins are toxic to dogs and cats and can potentially cause kidney failure in very small amounts. Chocolate covered raisins pose an even bigger risk.

6. Candles. Candles, including the small ones inside jack 'o lanterns, are fire hazards. You don't want your kitty wandering across a table or shelf decorated with lit candles, nor do you want your dog getting too friendly or feisty with a carved pumpkin with a candle inside. Make sure all these types of fire hazards are well beyond your pet's reach.

7. Commotion. Most holidays involve a bit of chaos and confusion — that's half the fun, right? For us it is, but for our furry companions, not so much. Even if your pet seems excited by all the noise and activity, excitement is a form of stress, especially for dogs and cats.

That's why it's important to know when it's time to remove your pet from the action and tuck her away in a safe, quiet spot in your home (and that time might very well be before the festivities even begin).

8. Choking. Halloween-related items that pose a choking danger include glow sticks and glow jewelry. Cats in particular seem to enjoy chewing on them, which can present not only a choking hazard, but also a burn hazard if the phenol inside leaks out.

9. Callers at the door. If your neighborhood tends to be full of trick-or-treaters, it's a good idea to make sure your pet can't get out an open door or window, either to investigate all the activity, or to escape from it.

Many dogs and most cats find a constantly ringing doorbell, strange voices yelling "Trick or Treat" and people dressed up in scary costumes to be anxiety producing. Kitties should probably be closed off in a bedroom or other safe area of the house for the night, and dogs should either be highly responsive to verbal commands, on a leash or also tucked away in a secure location.

10. Complicated pet costumes. As adorable as they are, elaborate Halloween costumes can pose a danger to your pet's health. Depending on the outfit, the temperature and your pet's coat, it's easier than you might think for him to overheat while all dressed up.

Pets have also been injured when their range of motion, vision or hearing is restricted by a costume, or when they try frantically to remove it. In addition, pet costumes often come with buttons, bows and other small accessories that can be pulled off and choked on or swallowed.

If you just can't resist dressing your four-legged ghost or goblin in a costume, select something lightweight to avoid overheating, and insure it doesn't confine or restrain his movements in any way. You should be able to slip two fingers under anything around your pet’s neck and legs.

It’s very important to make this about your pet. If he seems anxious, fearful or uncomfortable in his costume, take it off. Don’t force him to wear it. Instead, opt for a Halloween bandana or bow tie. With that said, according to Consumer Affairs, the most popular pet costume this year is a pumpkin!

pumpkin pug

+ Sources and References